Monday, March 21, 2016

When I Dare to Be Powerful



“When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision,
 then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.” Audre Lorde

****************
Life is so complicated, yet it is also extremely forgiving.  I’ve spent days, months, weeks, and years being the person that I thought I was expected to be. Wasting precious time doing things that I thought I would grow to love and pursuing a career in a mind-numbing and tedious industry. I guess the real question is why? Well for starters, I am a perfectionist! I hate to fail or feel like whatever I am doing will result in anything less than perfection. Crazy, I know! But as I sit here at my desk on my lunch break from my tedious task, I realize now that I have not been cheating myself, but also the world of the gifts I have to offer.

Shonda Rhimes said it best when she said ….
“Dreams are lovely. But they are just dreams. Fleeting, ephemeral, pretty. But dreams do not come true just because you dream them. It’s hard work that creates change.” Shonda Rhimes
I’m a dreamer! I have the perfect picture in my head but I lack the confidence to purse. Why is this? Well, plain and simple, it is easier to not try and settle than it is to try and succeed. Don’t get me wrong, I have been successful at many things but creating the life I know I deserve has not been one of them. I know that I am great and talented in many areas. I was born with a creative brain and I thrive off of creative environments. Truth be told, my ego and my pride has kept me from pursing my very best and settling for what I know I can achieve.  I don’t feel bad or ashamed to share this because I know somewhere at this moment, some young woman shares my same feelings and is probably writing the same exact things.
So how do I stop this self-sabotaging behavior? Well, by simply letting go and letting God!  It’s so easy to get in our own way and to block our blessings. I’ve learned this the hard way several times and now it is time that I learn from the lessons and move forward. My old habits will not benefit me in creating the life I want. So it’s time that I take control and start pursing the unlimited opportunities that the universe has to offer.
Let’s keep the conversation going…How are you creating the life you want? What are some of the things that keep you motivated to continue to pursue your dreams?

Xoxo, Nakia

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment