Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Confession: I'm Still Learning to Love My Natural Hair





I've officially been wearing my natural hair for eight months now and I must say, I've done pretty well. I didn't think I would last as a natural, but I did and I am very proud of myself. I've learned a lot about my hair over the past eight months. Some good things and a few bad things but I'm still learning and for that reason I see great things in the future.

Let me start by saying...Natural hair is hard work! My hair was severely damaged when I started my journey. However, over the past eight  months I have somehow nursed my poor strands back to health. My journey started out of pure frustration and a desire to stop depending on hair weaves. 

Funny thing is when I started my journey I thought I had to try every hair product under the sun that was recommended on YouTube. Boy was it a learning process! I spent hundreds of dollars on products that did absolutely nothing. Well as it turns out...My hair saw the most growth when I kept the process simple. 

MARCH 2014 - Length Check 
The photo above was taken in March a month after I started my natural hair Journey. At the time I was a product junkie using every product I could find that would give me defined curls, a big twist out or a big Afro. I realize now that my hair was not ready for those styles because it was severely dry and malnourished. 



OCTOBER 2014- Length Check
In the photo above... you can see that I have had a great deal of growth . I haven't done a link check since March because I wanted to be able to see progress in pictures. I am pretty pleased with the results and eager to continue the process. If I didn't see the progress in the pictures, I never would have believed that with better hair care my hair could actually grow so fast.

I learned that my hair LOVES water and hates overly complicated regimens. I keep it simple and do what is necessary to keep my hair healthy. I've listed my products and current regimen below.

Products: I am currently using the following products. I alternate the products depending on how my hair feels.I noticed early on that me hair is prone to dirt and buildup so I  use  shampoo as needed. 
  • Shampoo: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo
  • Conditioner: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
  • Conditioner for Co-wash: Hello Hydration or Tresemme Naturals
  • Deep Conditioner: TGIN or DIY Avocado hair mask 
  • Leave in Conditioner: Water & Aloe Vera
  • Styling Product: TGIN Twist & Define Cream
  • Oils: Grape Seed, Olive, Castor and Coconut oil 
Current Regimen
  • Prepoo with Coconut oil on wash day
  • Shampoo Sunday
  • Deep condition every Sunday 
  • Co-wash every Wednesday as needed
  • Seal with oil 
  • Protective style with mini twist
My wash days are an all day process but I absolutely love the time I have to dedicate a full day to ensuring that my hair is properly washed and styled.  I'm learning a lot about natural hair and I've decided to spend less money on products and start to move towards making products. I've also started doing more protective styling have been wearing my hair in mini twist for almost two months. Protective styling works for my hair type and I am definitely seeing a difference in texture and length retention.  



MARCH 2014-Mini Twist

OCTOBER 2014- Mini Twist 
 I will continue to share my natural hair journey and provide updates of things I learn and new things I try. In the meantime,  I would love to hair about more natural hair stories. So Mavens, what products have you used ? Do you like to create your own products? Have you seen a great deal of progress since starting your journey? I would love to hair your stories, so don't forget to comment, like or share. 

Xoxo,
Nakia



No comments:

Post a Comment